Sunday, December 13, 2015

DAVE ONDRUSEK NAMED NEW HEAD COACH AT PALMYRA


Dave Ondrusek was recently appointed to the head coaches position at Palmyra High School. Previously he was head coach for Hempield were he compiled a record of 70-22 from 2011-2014. Dave was kind enough to answer some questions with us about his experiences with the game of lacrosse.

How long have you been involved in the sport of lacrosse?
I have been involved with the sport of lacrosse since I started playing in high school.
Including my playing years it has been on and off for over 40 years.

What drew you to the game?
My best friend in high school got me to sign up as I played football in the fall and was looking for a spring sport to keep in shape for football.

What are some of your fondest memories of playing lacrosse?
Fondest memories of playing lacrosse were scoring the winning goal against rival college.
Also playing on a summer club team with members of the NCAA national championship team.

How long have you been coaching? 
I have been coaching at some level (elementary, middle school, high school, club and college) for about 20 years.

MORE AFTER THE BREAK


What are some of your previous coaching positions?
Some of my previous coaching positions have been with Lycoming College, Hempfield, US Lacrosse Youth Festival teams, and Blue Mountain Lacrosse.

What made you want to start coaching the sport of lacrosse?
I believe that lacrosse is one of the only sports where if you have played, it doesn't leave your system. You get "hooked" and once it's in your blood, you want to give back to the sport.

What would you say your main philosophies are as a coach are?
My main philosophies as a coach are that I try to give players more than they expect from a coach.
Coaching sports teams is an avenue to life after sports.  As we all know 99% of players that play lacrosse will not play after college. I feel that players are taught not only the game , but how to manage time, be competitive, respectful, and organized. Qualities that when they do graduate from school will be desired by potential employers.

What are some of your goals headed into the 2016 season?
Goals heading into the upcoming season are to improve from the past. Palmyra has not been the most dominant team in the Mid-Penn Conference. The goal is to become that dominant team.

What would you say are your strongest qualities are as a coach?
I believe my strongest qualities as a coach are that I come from an old school mentality.
I believe that understanding the game and teaching concepts with discipline and accountability will help us achieve our goals.

Care to share any thoughts or predictions on the upcoming season?
I believe that this team has tremendous potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment